We are a team of two: an accredited and fully trained psychotherapist; and an experienced, midwife, who has also trained other midwives, when she lectured at ZHAW. We combine our expertise, experience and passion for helping parents to be and families enjoy a better quality of life — to provide you with the practical support around birth preparation, as well as parent-baby coaching and psychological counselling — in a holistic sense – both before and after the birth.
Services we provide
Birth preparation; individual, or in groups
We can provide a birth preparation (antenatal course) according to your needs. We also provide courses in hospitals with in-house birthing courses.
You can choose between a:
- Basic birth preparation
- Birth preparation combined with useful centering techniques
- Birth and family preparation (what to expect in the first phase of family life and how to best manage this).
Cost: this depends on what you choose, and the time involved.
Please notice that the basic insurance (Grundversicherung) covers 150 CHF of a birth preparation course. It may be possible that a supplementary insurance (Zusatzversicherung) will refund further costs.
Increased fussing, crying, sleeping and feeding problems can make parents feel stressed, as well as physically and emotionally exhausted.
What are the aims of this parent-baby coaching?
- To help you find effective ways to cope with these difficulties, so that you can feel calm and comfortable while being around your new baby. This can help you gain energy for your daily routine.
- To improve your confidence and competence as a parent. I will support you to be better able to recognise and to interpret the non-verbal signals of your baby — and to help you learn to respond appropriately to them. By doing this, you can learn to develop a healthy bond with your baby, important for the well-being of parent and child.
Studies show that the early parent-child bonding process is very important for the healthy development of a child.
Costs: 120.-/ h. The costs are not covered by the insurance.
Psychotherapy for pre-natal & post-natal psychological wellbeing
Each phase in the transition to having a family can pose specific challenges. Areas where counselling can help:
- Concerns about becoming a parent: If you have not had a loving parent, you might have concerns about your own ability to be a good parent. If you have psychological issues & being concerned about how you will cope with the new challenges in becoming & being a parent.
- Not getting pregnant: Exhaustion from dealing with the monthly ups and downs of hope and disappointment; Dealing with emotional side-effects of IVF-treatments.
- Pregnancy: Experiencing miscarriage or still birth, fears of losing the baby during pregnancy, anxieties concerning the birth (perhaps due to previous traumatic birth experience), depressive symptoms during pregnancy.
- Post-natal: problems with integrating the role as mother with your previous roles, becoming parents — staying partners, feeling exhausted over the demands of parenting, feeling sad or numb for a couple of weeks postpartum, feeling guilty of not enjoying being a mother of a new born, having obsessive and frightening thoughts of harming your baby
Costs: 150.-/ hour. The supplementary insurance will refund a part of the costs. Please check the conditions with your supplementary insurance in advance.
Our approach to working with you
We aim to be empathic, supportive companions as you share this important and — at times challenging — phase of your life with us – as you want to get or are pregnant or you adjust to becoming a parent.
Together, we respectfully seek for the connections between your life experiences, your beliefs, your emotions and your behavior. In addition, we can identify patterns of behaviour, e.g. interactions between you and your baby; and /or interactions between you and your partner) and with this understanding – and of course only with your permission – are then able to explore with you ways that might be more helpful to improve the current situation. Once we have this understanding of how you work — and how you might like it to be better — we can provide you with further information that might be relevant (for example information about child development or reaction on trauma). Put simply, we will equip you with the resources you need for change and to meet the new challenges of pregnancy and parenting.
If you have questions about birth preparation or Parent-Baby coaching please contact Isabelle Schmid (qualified midwife): 079 235 32 72/ firstname.lastname@example.org
For request or questions about psychotherapy for pre- or postnatal wellbeing please contact Claudine Haus (qualified psychotherapist): 076 519 18 20/ email@example.com
We are looking forward to support you.
Praxis — Familie entsteht
The practice can be easily reached by public transport. There is parking available in the car park in front of the practice.